Are Your Windows and Doors Ready for the Cold in Victoria, B.C?
Whether or not you are ready, the colder weather is coming to Victoria and you can still find time to make sure your windows and doors are prepped for winter. Regularly inspecting your windows and doors can help ensure that your home remains and helps save on energy costs.
How can you prepare your windows and doors for colder weather?
- Check to see if your windowsills and all the moving parts are clean – Dirt and debris that remains in windowsills or the moving parts on doors and windows can affect the tightness and seal when closed.
- Examine your weather stripping – Weather stripping helps to keep air from entering the home when windows and doors are closed. It can become loose or torn over time, so watch your weather stripping and reattach any loose portions or replace sections that are damaged.
- Reapply caulk or sealant around windows and doors – Rain, water and sunlight can damage exterior sealants and caulk. Remove damaged material and apply new sealant.
- Repair or replace damaged exterior surfaces – Evaluate the exterior surface of your windows and doors for signs of moisture leaking, such as cracked or deteriorated wood. Replacing the damaged wood will help keep cold air and moisture from find its way into your home.
- Install storm doors – Storm doors offers an additional layer of defense from air and moisture and improves energy performance.
- Install snap-in blinds or shades – Not only does this increase your privacy, but it also helps to insulate the home.
- Upgrade to energy-efficient windows and doors – If your home has single-pane glass, clear glass, or your windows and doors are older, you may be paying more than you should to heat your home. Our experts can walk you through newer, energy-efficient options.
If you have additional questions about preparing your your home’s windows and doors for winter, contact your local Showroom in Victoria at 250-475-1277.