How to Find the Cause of Drafty Windows
There is a moment every Victoria winter when you can’t seem to find the source of the draft in your home. It could theoretically be coming from a window that isn’t secured or sealed correctly. Even the slightest of cracks can make homes uncomfortable and chilly, hypothetically resulting in:
- Cold air leaking into your home
- Higher heating and cooling costs
According to the Environmental Protection Agency’s Energy Star program, you can save 10 percent on your total energy bill, or 20 percent of your heating and cooling costs, with correctly sealed windows. To help limit spending and cut down drafty air from passing through your home, it’s important to be able to recognize where these window drafts may be originating from and why. Here are some useful tips to pinpoint your Victoria home’s drafts and inspect for issues:
- Search for gaps and breaks in strange locations of air leakage, such as knee walls, outdoor faucets, attic access points or just the usual windows with workable means and use a painless visual inspection.
- Check to ensure that windows and doors are shut and latched.
- Make sure that the sealant or gasket near the workable portion of the window or door is properly sealing.
- Inspect the installation by establishing if the draft is traveling through the window or around the window, between the window and the harsh opening. A window will only operate as well as it is positioned.
- Call an expert from Pella Windows & Doors - Victoria in Victoria to have them conduct a home energy audit.
Once you’ve found where the draft or air leakage is originating from, the next step is to concentrate on the cause of the draft or air leakage. As always, give the experts in Victoria a call at 250-475-1277 with any additional questions or prospective replacement needs.