How to Properly Clean Windows in Victoria, B.C
A window offers you a wonderful view to the outdoors, lets light in and helps protect your home from bad weather. That means these windows see a lot of action. From dirt, water and insects on the outside to smudges or pets on the inside, your windows’ glass gets dirty pretty quick. Luckily, window cleaning is fairly simple.
You can clean your original replacement windows in just a few easy steps. Many Pella windows have easy-clean features that make it easier for you to clean the exterior glass from inside. Here’s our window cleaning process.
- Brush off your window sills. Get rid of the dirt, dust and everything else that is stuck on the window sills and ledges to prevent smearing the glass later on.
- Now’s a good time to clean the screens, too. Run your vacuum’s dusting brush attachment over the inner facing side of the screen.
- Use a premixed vinegar-based cleaning solution (mix your own with one part white vinegar to 10 parts water), and apply to a soft, clean, lint-free cloth or paper towel. You may instead use an ammonia-free glass cleaner such as Pella's glass cleaner, Windex® or Sparkle®. Spray the cleaner generously, but avoid getting any cleaning solutions on the wood, fiberglass or vinyl frames, as they may discolor the finish.
- Rub from several directions and let air dry.
- Rinse with clean water if streaks remain after cleaning.
For the clearest view, we’d also recommend cleaning your windows on a cloudy day. Sunshine can dry the cleaning solution too quickly, leaving streaks on your window glass. Your Pella professionals in Victoria prefer using microfiber cloths to clean window glass since it’s lint-free and will not leave tiny particles behind.
Your windows could look so good, you might forget the glass is even there. Now that’s what we call a fantastic view.
Please note: You should not use ammonia- or alcohol-based glass cleaners. These solutions will leave streaks or a film that attracts moisture and dust. See your owner’s manual to find our more about cleaning other parts of your wood windows, vinyl windows or fiberglass windows, or get in touch with your Pella Windows Showroom in Victoria.