Tips to Help Prevent Termite Damage in Wood Windows in Victoria, B.C
There’s no question that wood windows can add warmth and help enhance the visual aspects in your home. One problem homeowners have with wood windows is the potential for termite damage. Termites get a lot of their nutrition from wood, which can cause homeowners a lot of issues when it comes to structural damage.
So what can you do to help avert termite damage?
The best way to help prevent termite damage is to eliminate or decrease the opportunity for termites to get close to your home. Here are a few tips from Pella Windows & Doors - Victoria on how you can help lessen the chance of termite infestation.
- Keep Brush Away From Your House – Try to keep the ground area around your house free of any brush or rotting wood. Termites will use this as a path to get to the house. Especially for windows on the lower level, keep leaves, dirt and other brush away from the foundation and house.
- Properly Vent Your Home – Termites also look for water and moisture, so it’s critical to make certain your home, including small crawl spaces, are appropriately ventilated and allow air to flow.
- Clean Out Gutters – Full gutters create pools of water that are also intriguing to termites, and conveniently for the termites— are nearby the home. Make sure you don’t have standing water or leaves and sticks in your gutters.
- Fix Foundation Cracks – Seal up or fill any cracks in the foundation of your home. Many termites develop their colonies in the ground, making your home’s foundation their greatest chance to get in the home.
- Protect Your Wood – Pella Victoria has EnduraGuard® wood protection which offers great protection against the effects of moisture, decay, stains from mold and mildew – as well as termite damage.
- Call a Professional – Pest control firms can check out your home for any present termite infestations or damage, and install the right protection system for your home.
If you want more information on wood windows and what steps you should take to help avoid any damage, visit the Victoria showroom or set up an appointment online to have one of our experts offer a free in-home consultation. You can call Pella Windows & Doors - Victoria at 250-475-1277 to get started and make wood windows a reality in your home.